I was very amused by it, until I realized that at the end of their statements they weren't saying FML, they were saying MLIT. So they weren't like, lol, I'm pathetic, haha. They were legitimately proud.
I think that's what bothers me about twihards, not that they're obsessed with something they enjoy, (hell, I'm obsessed with superheroes, I get it) it's that they are so unabashedly proud of the silly things they do for that obsession. There is no acknowledgment, no self-deprecation there. And if, god-forbid, anyone mentions how pathetic it is, even in a loving way, they are stoned and screamed at.
I guess there are people like that in all fandoms, but I feel like for example, if a hardcore Iron Man fan named her son Tony Stark Smith, she'd be all like, 'lame, I know, but I couldn't resist', whereas a hardcore Twifan who named her son Edward Cullen Smith would be like, 'and it is the perfect, best name and haters are mean people who should all DiaF'.

Anyway.
This whole vampire craze is not bugging me as much as it used to. When it started, I was definitely pissed that lots of people were suddenly getting into what I'd always been a fan of and giving me a bad name... and I still am. I mean, when I was at the Apple Store the other day, wearing my 'Vampires Suck' shirt, the guy at the genius bar asked me if I was into the whole Twilight thing. And it made me angry that I couldn't wear one of my favorite shirts without people assuming I was something I'm not. Then I realized that people are always assuming I'm something I'm not on the basis of my clothes and it's fucking silly to get all bent out of shape just because someone might assume I'm a fan of something I don't like all that much.
Also, the movie of Twilight... hilarious. If my wearing vampire shirts in any way encourages people to put LOLtastic shit like that on my local movie screen, then how can I object?
So now I'm trying to be good-natured about the whole vampire thing. The other day at scouts, one of the members was writing the other (a huge Buffy fan) a note about hot blood-suckers or something, so as a joke, I passed it to her so we could say it was 'delivered by vampire'. And I'm definitely taking advantage of the giant list of vampire films over on NinjaVideo. I highly recommend Dracula 2000: Nathan Fillion as a catholic priest, Gerard Butler as Dracula, and Hyde from that 70's show and Foreman from House as vampire minions. Good. Shit.
Oh, speaking of vampires! I just remembered that I finally finished my wunderkammer! The pictures are here.

2 comments:
Dude, don't forget Dracula with Keanu! Keanu! (And Alan Rickman and Winona Ryder who I imagine showed up to set all excited and saw Keanu and went "...the fo?")
Also, you know I'm not proud of my Twi-like...right? (I doubt you need to guess who this is)
Post a Comment