Beautiful air conditioned, sittin' in the kitchen wishin' I was living like a hit-man

Hello loyal readers! (by which I mean me when I'm bored and narcissistic)

I'm finally home, in one place, with internet access for more than a day. At least until the 25th when I move into the dorms at Lafayette for CTY. I hope they're not shitty dorms. I really, really do. I'm willing to sacrifice virgins to the God of Dormitories. I know a bunch of 'em.

I'm supposed to be cleaning the bathroom right now according to mum, who's in one of her "If you're going to live in my house, which you're too old to do, you might as well be my maid" moods. I just discovered that I get decent wireless on the bathroom floor though (don't ask how), so that's where I am right now. Eh, I have until 3 to clean the house, call all my doctors, reconstruct my bike and ride it to the library and research ways to get from here to the bus stop in Hellertown without asking for a ride or taking a taxi. I can do it.

So, in media junkie news, I've been freakishly obsessed with Marvel superheros of late. (See Marvel Tarot Project) Particularly the Avengers. Particularly Captain America/Iron Man.

They're one of those pairings that just fascinates me with its complexity and its potential. I mean, in my view, there are three main reasons to 'ship something (this is somehow going to get properly theorized and worked into the work on slash that I am eventually going to write when I stop getting distracted by all the buttsecksing):
1. Because it's fucking OTP.
These are the classing pairings and the pairings no one argues with: Kirk/Spock, House/Wilson, Remus/Sirius. Many of the original early 'zine-fic 'ships were of this variety.
2. Because there's great UST.
This, I think, might be the majority of slash parings, the ones where the sexual tension is very apparent, even exploited in canon for drama or humor: Sam/Gene in LoM, Cable/Deadpool, Jon Stewart/Stephen Colbert, Pete/Carl from the Libertines. I feel like a lot of RPS is in either this category or the third, since most fangirls aren't creepy enough to suppose their RPS ships are actual reality.
3. Because it would be kinda hot.
These are the pairings that exist for the pretty. Maybe there is some UST, maybe the characters don't even know each other. Still it's fun to think of them getting it on. Keith Olbermann/ Anderson Cooper, Nu!Kirk/Jack Harkness, Morgan/Reid from Criminal Minds. All crossovers fit into this category. Including that rather spectacular Kirk/Mal/Han Solo fic I read the other day on the Star Trek XI Kink Meme.

There are some pairings, though, that reach out and grab readers on a personal level. They're not their own category, because they obviously differ from person to person. But most slashers have at least one OTP that really moves them for deeper reasons than just "it's hot", "they should just get it on already", or "they are just so gay for each other". This can be because of the context of the relationship, or the characters, or simply because of the way it's treaded in canon. I happen to have two, Doctor/Master and Cap/Iron Man. Doctor/Master is conflicted and sweeping and epic and tragic in a way that appeals to me on an emo and personal level, but Cap/Iron Man is a truly interesting 'ship, never really mentioned outright in canon (unless you count that alternate universe where Tony Stark is Natasha Stark and she marries Cap and the whole Civil War doesn't happen because everyone knows politics don't start wars, epic UST starts wars), but at the same time subtly built up to the point where if they got together it would surprise no one but the close-minded. Anyway, the Steve/Tony manefesto explains it better than I can. And includes links to the giant list of slashy moments scans and to many of the best fics. Not that I'm trying to convert anyone. I'm just honestly moved by a slash ship in a way I haven't been since I started slashing. I mean, even the canon moves me. I cried during Civil War: The Confession; when Tony said "It wasn't worth it" I knew he meant "I love you". Not wanted him to say, not saw with my slash goggles, knew that's what he meant. And that's why I can't stop thinking about this pairing. Ima shut up now, though.
Or not. PIC!

I was serious about the whole "if they'd gotten it on, no Civil War" thing.

Once I figure out mum's scanner and do all the other shit I have to do today, I'll upload a few pieces of the massive amounts of art I've been trying to pump out.

Okay. My ass is asleep. DAMN YOU, LINOLEUM!

0 comments:

Post a Comment